Sunday 23 December 2012

Christmas Presents

I've been pretty busy this month, along with shopping for my Christmas gifts, I have been making some too. I found an interesting image on Pinterest a while ago, and kept it safe for me to invest some time and make myself. This was the image that inspired me...

Image and Tutorial taken from http://www.thesweetestoccasion.com/2012/07/diy-glitter-vases/
(Take a look, there's some interesting things on this blog!)
 
If you would like to see some more of my inspiration boards on Pinterest then please click here.
 
So with this in mind, I thought I would slightly change the idea to become a candle holder instead of a vase. I checked to see if the glue/base coat and top coats were flammable and lucky me, they were ok to use. 
 
I bought my little vases from Ikea, here, then bought some ModRock, Glitter and a sponge brush. 
I then used the sponge brush to glaze the vase with a thin layer of ModRock glue (it works both inside and outside of the glass, so I chose to do the outside just to be safe, I didn't want a naked flame to touch the glue or the glitter). I Then sprinkled the Glitter over the glue, I found that by tapping the vase on the bottom, I shook some of the glitter off and it stuck itself to the remaining glue. Repeat this process about 3 times to get an even coverage of glitter. Then paint another layer of Glue over the glitter to seal it in place. I used another two thin layers of glue to properly seal it and to also make the outside feel smooth. I would recommend this if you do decide to have a go. (Remember to use thin layers of glue!) 
 
And here is the final result...
 
I also wanted to make some packaging for my glitter candle holders as I wanted to give them as a gift. I wanted something quite simple looking so it didn't retract from the glasses themselves.
I then printed and cut the box out making a die cut window to see the product inside the box. I stuck some acetate to the inside of the box to make the window. I also wanted to raise the glasses up slightly so made an insert in the box for the glasses to sit in (as the bottom of the glass has a little ridge), this way the Glasses won't move about in the box and damage each other. 
The box with the Insert to hold the candle holders in place.
 
What do you think? I hope mum likes these!

2 comments:

  1. Such lovely candle holders,
    Wishing you and your loved ones a "Merry Christmas!"
    Torie Jayne
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Hope you and your loved ones had a lovely christmas! and Have a wonderful New Year!! x

      Delete