Tuesday 10 January 2012

The Royal Yatch Britannia, Edinburgh

Hello! and a Happy New Year! Hope you had a lovely Christmas/Holidays!


As you may already know, I went to Scotland for my Christmas Holidays this year to spend it with my Boyfriend's family. It was my first ever Christmas away from Home, and how different it was! Don't get me wrong it was lovely, but I did miss my family. Whilst I was away we travelled down to Edinburgh for a few days before coming back home to Cardiff. Edinburgh was lovely, the winter wonderland was open and they were starting to set up the streets and Gardens ready for the 'Hogmanay' celebrations.
When we were in Edinburgh we decided to take a trip to the Royal Yacht Britannia.


The Royal Yacht Britannia, Copyright of Scottish Media. Clydebank 12th Jan 1954.

During the Reign of King George VI, The Royal Yacht Britannia was built to replace the Victoria and Albert III Yacht, but the King died 4 months before the Keel of the Yacht was laid. Princess Elizabeth, his daughter, succeeded him to the throne. The new Queen gave the Yacht a personal touch by approving and selecting the fabrics and decoration.

This Yacht has helped to make The Queen the most travelled monarch the world has ever known.

Singapore 1974, Photo Contributed by ex Royal Yachtsman Eric A Piper of Norwich. Copyright of The Royal Yacht Britannia.

This Yacht is lovely! The interiors were so pristine. The thought of myself walking where the Queen once walked was really weird, in a good way. The thing I loved most was that Princess Diana, the Princess of Wales, once stayed on this Yacht. It was Diana and Charles' Honeymoon gift from the Queen.

When I was taking a look around the Yacht, I made a really personal connection which I forgot that I had. My Grandad was a Sailor in the Royal Navy, and I kept thinking that my Grandad would have lived in the same type of environment for months on end. It brought back some really close memories of the photos he kept. I really enjoyed seeing the Bunk beds and the engines. It was so enjoyable, I felt like a little child again.  

If you get the Chance to visit this wonderful piece of history then go and do it! Enjoy the feeling of being surrounded by a Royal Past presence and take in the history.

No comments:

Post a Comment